METROPOLITAN Police are moving in to maintain law and order as several demonstrations are taking across the city today (Feb. 17) on the heels of a few others that were staged yesterday, Naewna newspaper said.
Pol. Maj. Gen. Jirasan Kaewsaeng-ek, deputy head of Metropolitan Police, listed the rallies as follows:
1) Members of Farmers Debt Network of Thailand in front of Wat Makutkasat (overnight stay);
2) Network of Farmers Rehabilitation and Development Fund in front of Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry (overnight stay);
3) Agricultural Federation of Thailand in front of the Bank of Thailand (overnight stay) and then moving to the Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry;
4) Community Enterprise Group and the Centre of People Protecting the Monarchy at 8 a.m. in front of the Office of Civil Service Commission;
5) Songwriters for the People group in front of the Bangkok Remand Prison at 4 p.m.;
6) Citizens Strike Back in front of the Supreme Court at 5.30 p.m.;
7) Watching out for any action by the Thalu Gas protest group from 5.30 p.m. onwards.
Pol. Maj. Gen. Jirasan emphasised that while Bangkok is now part of the blue tourism pilot scheme zone, gathering or engaging in activities that risk the spread of disease is still an offence under the emergency decree.
Roads that may be affected by today’s rallies include Ngamwongwan road and tollway and Bang Khen and Phong Phet intersections. From 3 p.m. onwards Asoke-Din Daeng and Vibhavadi Rangsit roads and Soi Phaholyothin 2 and from 4 p.m. onwards Din Daeng expressway and tunnel.
Yesterday the Agricultural Federation of Thailand, the Network of the Farmers Rehabilitation and Development Fund, Songwriters for the People group and People’s Rights Network group had rallied.
Meanwhile Pathumwan police have identified nine members of the Thalu Wang group that had gathered at Siam Paragon shopping mall on Feb. 8 and they face a string of charges after more evidence is collected.
Of 821 cases that have piled up since July 2020, 474 have been filed in court with 347 still being investigated.
The Songwriters for the People group demonstrate in front of Bangkok Remand Prison last month to demand the release of political activists detained without bail. Home Page photo shows images of some of the detained activists displayed there. Photos: Matichon
Also read: Protesters jeer at Kla Party’s by-election campaign team
Songwriters rally in front of prison to get political activists freed
Activist group takes campaign against Section 112 to southern city
Police fully ready for demonstrations taking place today and tomorrow
2 Replies to “Several rallies taking place in Bangkok today”