CCSA: Uncertain if infected DJ will turn into superspreader

THE Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration’s (CCSA’s) spokesman Dr. Taweesilp Visanuyothin said today (Jan. 21) that it still cannot be concluded whether DJ Matoom, found to be infected yesterday, has spread the infection in a wide area of Bangkok but those who had close contact with him should isolate themselves, Thai Rath newspaper said.

He also pointed out that face shields do not protect against this feared infection with only cloth or surgical face masks able to do so. Those filming TV programmes and wearing these face shields should leave a distance of two metres but it is best to wear face masks.

This is because saliva droplets can still escape from the shield and the closer together people sit, the more likely they will reach them.

Regarding Mr. Techin Ployphet, or DJ Matoom getting infected, Dr. Taweesilp said Bangkok has a large population and it is easy to move around and meet people so it is not uncommon to find cases.

The authorities proactively checked 41,508 people in the city from mid-December to January 20 and found 60 cases. However the infection is jumping across generations within the family and at entertainment venues.

He thanked DJ Matoom for quickly revealing his infection and timeline of his recent activities and urged all those who are at risk to isolate themselves. Those who have any questions may call the Disease Control hotline 1422.

Dr. Taweeslip said this outbreak has to be monitored continuously with strict control staying in place till January 31. He urged everyone to take care of themselves while pointing out that he does not expect the daily count to drop to zero but it would be acceptable if it drops significantly.

DJ was asymptomatic when he tested positive for coronavirus and the following is the timeline of his recent activities:

– Jan. 7: Stayed at condo in Ladprao area and at 8 p.m. went to Central Ladprao in a personal van.

– Jan. 8: 7. 50 a.m. Held a radio programme at GMM Grammy;

              4 p.m. Went to Banyan Tree Hotel for business in a personal car;

              6 p.m. Went to Big C Extra Ladprao;

              Stayed at condo.

– Jan. 9: Went to Banyan Tree Hotel and stayed there overnight. Went up to the rooftop restaurant for dinner with friends but preventive measures, social distancing and temperature scanning, were in place. Mother dropped by.

– Jan. 10: Checked out of Banyan Tree at 5 p.m.;

               7 p.m. Had dinner at Joha Korean Bar in Aree area;

                9 p.m. Returned to condo.

– Jan. 11-7; Stayed at condo.

– Jan. 18: 6.30 a.m. Filmed a TV programme at GMM Grammy;

                 At noon filmed another TV programme at Kathi Baan Thai restaurant;

5 p.m. Had a meal at Mansion 7 in Ratchada area;

                  Returned home.

Jan. 19: 6.40 p.m. Filmed a TV programme at GMM Grammy;

             12.30 p.m. Went to Central Embassy;

              5 p.m. Went to Foodland The Street Ratchada;

              7 p.m. A friend who joined him for dinner on Jan. 9 called to say he is infected;

              10 p.m. Went to get a Covid test at Bangkok General Hospital.

Jan. 20: 6.20 p.m. Hospital called to confirm infection.

        8 p.m. Went to hospital in an ambulance for treatment.


Top: DJ Matoom, left, and Dr. Taweesilp, right. Photo: Thai Rath



Leave a Reply