8 caught sneaking into Chiang Rai as 2 new Covid-19 cases emerge

EIGHT Thais were arrested in Chiang Rai province today (Nov. 30) just as they were sneaking back home from Myanmar via natural routes soon after two Thai women who are friends of a superspreader in Chiang Mai also tested positive for Covid-19, Amarin TV reported.

All eight suspects were working at Myanmar’s Tachileik district, just across the border from Chiang Rai’s Mae Sai district, and fled ongoing coronavirus pandemic there by paying smugglers 6,500 baht each to bring them across the Sai river and then through natural paths to Thai territory.

However they were arrested by 20 military officers working together with provincial administrative officials and immigration police who charged them with violating Section 11 of the Immigration Act. The accused all confessed and agreed to pay the fine as required by the law.

The eight of them, two from Udon Thani province, one from Bangkok, and one each from Khon Kaen, Phuket, Chiang Rai, Nonthaburi and Samut Prakan provinces, have all been placed under 14-day quarantine.

Earlier today, Chiang Rai Governor Mr. Prachon Pratsakul, who is also chairman of the Covid-19 Infectious Disease Monitoring Committee, confirmed that two Thai women who had also sneaked across the border from Tachileik and were friends of the coronavirus superspreader in Chiang Mai were too found to be infected with this deadly disease.

Both women, one 26 years old and the other 29 years old, were friends of another 29-year-old woman with all three having worked at the same entertainment venue in Tachileik. 

The woman who tested positive for coronavirus in Chiang Mai city on Friday November 27 had come across the border via normal channels on Tuesday November 24 but did not go in for quarantine and had exposed 326 people to this deadly disease at various places before being found to be infected.

The 26-year-old woman developed a fever and a cough last Wednesday November 25 and was confirmed to be infected with coronavirus on Saturday November 28. 

The second woman came down with a cough, sore throat and runny nose yesterday, November 29,  and has also now tested positive for coronavirus.

Both are being treated at Chiang Rai’s Prachanukroh Hospital.


Top: The eight Thais rounded up for illegally crossing over from Tachileik in Myanmer. Thai headline says, “fleeing severe spreading of coronavirus.” Photo: Amarin TV

TNR staff
I am veteran journalist and part of’s editorial team. We are working hard at making this news site a success and value the support of each and every reader

Leave a Reply