Local news World news

41 Thais return safely from northern Myanmar, over 200 still stuck there


MYANMAR officers brought 41 Thais who had fled fighting in northern Myanmar across from Tachileik to Mae Sai town today (Nov. 18) but over 200 more are stranded at a military camp in Laukkaing city with preparation being made to bring them back too, Matichon newspaper said.

Receiving them on the Thai side were Lt. Gen. Anupap Sirimonthon, director of Army Civil Affairs department, Maj. Gen. Praphat Phopsuwan, commander of Pha Muang Force, and Col. Natee Thimsen, commander of Chao Tak Army Special Forces and Thai head of Thai-Myanmar Border Consortium (TBC).

On the Myanmar side was Col. Tula So Win Soe, chief of Tachileik Strategic Command and Myanmar head of TBC, Tachileik immigration officials and other officers.

The 41 returnees were taken to Mengrai Maharat camp in Chiang Rai’s Mueang district where they will undergo a health check and be processed by Immigration Police and the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security officials.

Pha Muang Force has prepared accommodation for up to 200 people with there also being a waiting point where their relatives could receive them.

Regarding the remaining 200 Thais, the Myanmar team said they were all at a military camp in Laukkaing city, in Kokang autonomous region, with the unit there working out a route to evacuate them as fighting is raging all around this city.

Consular officials of Thai and other embassies in Yangon had to verify their citizens and  it was found that 164 Thais did not have a passport because their employers had kept their travel document.

The Foreign Ministry is going to issue a temporary passport for all of them but they still need a visa and will be taken five kilometres from Laukkaing city to China to get one then brought back.

Meanwhile across the border from Mae Sot, Tak province, Karen National Union (KNU) fighters said they blew up a bridge in Mawlamyine province, Mon state, after having captured it from a junta unit guarding it last Tuesday (Nov. 14) and continue controlling the adjacent village.

Heavy fighting has raged between the two sides with KNU saying many Myanmar junta soldiers had died while several others had surrendered.


Top, below and Front Page: The 41 Thais who returned from northern Myanmar today, Nov. 18, 2023, and the military teams of the two countries greeting each other.

Insert: The bridge in Mawlamyine province, Mon state, which KNU fighters blew up. All photos: Matichon

Also read: 41 Thais among thousands fleeing heavy fighting in northern Myanmar

84 Thai women now entrapped in Shan State

Ministry rushing to help almost 300 Thais in Myanmar as fighting escalates

Myanmar rebels capture provincial town as anti-junta offensive widens

Joe Biden, Xi Jinping agree to restart high-level military talks

Navy denies 100 VN fishing boats have seized part of Gulf of Thailand

Thai mercenaries are not fighting for Israel: Ministry

Police Chief against deploying Chinese police in Thailand


2 Replies to “41 Thais return safely from northern Myanmar, over 200 still stuck there

Leave a Reply