Local news

Interior Ministry orders nationwide electrical leakage check

 

AS FLOODING in many parts of the country has led to people being exposed to various hazards particularly electric shock as happened to some students on Friday, Interior Minister Anupong Paochinda today (Sept. 18) ordered local administrative organisations nationwide to quickly get all installations checked for electrical leakage, Naewna newspaper said.

Altogether five students suffered electric shock in Udon Thani on Friday with one of them having been saved by Mr. Atthachai Artudom, or Bass, 19, a vocational student who also works as a rider who himself got a shock from doing so.

Gen. Anupong told Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and provincial administrative organisations to coordinate with the Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA) or Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA)  to quickly check all installations, particularly in flooded areas, for electrical leaks. This includes electric meters and large billboards and trees near power poles.

Should a leak be found or there be a risk of it happening then power has to be immediately cut off and repairmen quickly sent in. Officials were also told to publicise this risk to residents.

People in flooded areas were urged to move their electrical appliances to a higher area and if floodwater flows into their home to immediately cut off the power supply. Importantly they should not wade through floodwater near power poles and streetlights as there is a danger of getting a life-threatening electric shock.

Those to come across electrical leaks were urged to call the 24-hour hotline 1784 or send a message to the official Line account to get assistance. They can also contact MEA hotline 1130 or PEA hotline 1129 all 24 hours.

CAPTIONS:

Top and below: Mr. Atthachai Artudom, or Bass, helping the unconscious seventh grade student after he collapsed upon getting an electric shock on Friday and in doing so himself got hit. Photos: INN News

Front Page: Interior Minister Anupong Paochinda. Photo: Naewna


Also read: Rider saves boy who got electric shock from streetlight

Two boys killed by electric shock in Mekong River

Teenage girl electrocuted while using plugged-in mobile phone

Power bank bursts into flames after being left in vehicle

Storm of criticism over handrail charged by power leak


 

Leave a Reply