Local news

In pictures: Police break up another march to PM’s house

PROTESTERS kept up the pressure on Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to resign unconditionally by again marching to his house within the First Infantry Regiment on Vibhavadi Rangsit road from Victory Monument late afternoon today (August 13) but were blocked at Din Daeng junction by riot police who fired several rounds of tear gas and rubber bullets at them, Siam Rath newspaper said.

The demonstrators, led by Thalufah (Through the Sky) human rights activist group, had gathered at this monument for their Friday 13 X Chasing Tyrant event and reached Din Daeng junction at 5 p.m. where they faced a big barrier of rolls of barbed wire and containers blocking their way.

During the procession speeches were given from an audio vehicle for protesters to march peacefully and once they reached the junction this vehicle moved behind the protesters.

The front guard, consisting of over a hundred vocational students, moved to dismantle the barbed wire and container barrier leading to the riot police letting loose volleys of tear gas and rubber bullets at them.

One of the bullets hit Mr. Thanat Thanakitamnuay, or Hiso Luknut, in the right eye.

Read earlier reports: Criminal lawsuit endorsed by 700,000 people filed against PM over pandemic fiascoes

Favourite protester says after arrest: Fighting to the last breath

Police quell street protesters with rubber bullets fired from BTS skywalk

Motorists told to avoid Victory Monument as new protest kicks off

Update: Clash at Din Daeng after ‘car mob’ protest against Prayut ended

In pictures: ‘Car mob’ protesters drive through the heart of Bangkok

 ‘Renegade’ upper-middle-class demonstrators join anti-Prayut street protest

 More rounds of tear gas and rubber bullets were fired at the protesters with some volleys coming from the Vibhavadi Rangsit expressway forcing the protesters to retreat towards the monument.

At 5.25 p.m. Thalufah announced an end to their protest march via the vehicle audio system and Facebook but the protesters still stayed in the area.

Police fired more bullets and tear gas at the protesters who then scattered. After that policemen moved in to arrest those found under the expressway.


Protesters were hit with many rounds of tear gas and rubber bullets during today’s march to Gen. Prayut’s house. All photos: Siam Rath


2 Replies to “In pictures: Police break up another march to PM’s house

Leave a Reply