Local news

Five royal motorcade case suspects freed on bail

THE Criminal Court today (March 31) approved the temporary release of five suspects charged with intending to harm Her Majesty the Queen’s liberty during the demonstration on October 14, 2020 after prosecutors filed a case against them under Sections 110 and 115 of the Penal Code, Sanook.com said.

According to Bangkok Post, on that day, the royal motorcade of Her Majesty the Queen passed along the Phitsanulok road, which was cordoned off by security officers to stop protesters at 5.30 p.m.

However, many protesters got through, and many were seen flashing the three-finger salute as her motorcade passed.

Her Majesty, representing His Majesty the King, was accompanied by His Royal Highness Prince Dipangkorn Rasmijoti.

She was to offer robes to monks as part of a kathin ceremony at Wat Arun Ratchawararam and Wat Ratcha Orasaram.

The charge of intending  to harm Her Majesty the Queen’s liberty comes under Section 110 of the Penal Code and carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment or imprisonment of 16 to 20 years. The other charge, of joining a gathering of more than ten people, obstructing the traffic, causing chaos on that day comes under Section 115.

However at 4. 38 p.m. today the court granted the temporary release of Mr. Ekachai Hongkangwan, the first defendant, and Mr. Suranat Panprasert or Tan, the third defendant, with the placement of 300,000 baht surety each. Mr. Boonkuanao Paothong, or Francis, the second defendant, Mr. Chanathipchai Chayangkun, the fourth defendant, and Mr. Phanupat Phaikoh, the fifth defendant, were released on 200,000 baht surety each.

On November 5 last year Ekachai had filed a complaint for prosecution against national police chief Pol Gen Suwat Chaengyodsuk and chief of the Metropolitan Police Bureau Pol Lt Gen Phukphong Phongpetra on allegations of refraining to perform their duties or performing their duties in bad faith under Section 157 of the Penal Code.

If convicted the penalty is one to ten years imprisonment or a fine of 2,000-20,000 baht or both.

Ekachai had stated that on October 14 a large group of people had gathered in Nang Loeng area with some, including himself, being at the Government House.

The royal motorcade passed through but the police had not announced a warning in advance and he believes this was a deliberate attempt to trigger an incident requiring the declaration of serious emergency.


Top: Three of five suspects after they were released on bail today.

Home: Ekachai talking to the press earlier. Photos: Sanook.com



Leave a Reply