Local news

Anti-Prayut demonstrators march to Govt House 

THE People’s Unity Group for Thailand led by red shirt leader Jatuporn Prompan joined by other groups encamped at the Government House after marching there from Phan Fa Lilat Bridge at 6 p.m. this evening (June 26) in a demonstration to pressure Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to resign, Thai Rath newspaper said.

The march was orderly with the protest leaders having coordinated with the police to ensure everything was well regulated 

Thick ropes were used to ensure that the demonstrators stayed within the route.

It took them 20 minutes to reach the Government, arriving there at 7 p.m., after which there were speeches on the government’s administration of the country.

Jatuporn’s group was joined by the People’s Anti-Corruption Network led by its secretary-general Mr. Weera Somkwamkid, the Campaign for Popular Democracy led by its secretary-general Mr. Metha Maskhao, the Isan National Rescue Coalition led by its secretary-general Mr. Taikorn Phonsuwan, and the Nonthaburi New Generation Network led by its leader Mr. Shinawatra Chankrachang, or Bright, with their followers and other participants joining in.

The demonstrators sang the National Anthem at Phan Fa Lilat Bridge before starting their march. Jatuporn gave a speech on top of a vehicle fitted with amplifiers before they set out saying that the rally on June 24 had not ended with a new appointment made to gather again today.

He hit out at Gen Prayut saying the Prime Minister had said there are people walking around breaking the law but the person who was the most rowdy was himself.

Jatuporn added that at the Government House Weera will give a speech on corruption 

During the march the protesters shouted, “Prayut out.”

Being wary of a third hand moving in to cause trouble, the leaders of this demonstration decided not to use previous tactics and to set up a stage at the same spot where Mr. Nitithorn Lumlue, or attorney Nok Khao, and his group had done so earlier in the day before ending their rally before 6 p.m.

Weera said he was not worried as trouble was unlikely to occur with this demonstration being peaceful and no weapons brought along, pointing out that their objective was to push out Gen. Prayut. 


The demonstrators heading for Government House and encamped there after reaching their destination. Photos: Thai Rath

Leave a Reply