Coronavirus

PM extends Samut Sakhon closure amid 369 new Covid cases

PRIME Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha this morning (Jan. 18) ordered the extension of closure of risky places such as restaurants in eight sub-district of Samut Sakhon province to February 1 while the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) announced that over the past 24 hours there were 369 coronavirus cases, Sanook.com reported.

Gen. Prayut together with Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and Interior Minister Anupong Paochinda held a video conference with Samut Sakhon Acting Governor Teerapat Khashmat and other provincial officers about the situation in this hard-hit zone where the number of cases soared to 320 yesterday.

This daily total is expected to increase as proactive screening in communities continues. 

Gen. Prayut told the governor to extend the closure of risky venues that had expired on Saturday Jan. 16 till February 1.

He also pointed out that a spike in the number of cases is due migrant workers illegally sneaking to Thailand while also encouraging the officials in this province to continue working hard as they have done with great dedication since the end of last year.

Meanwhile Dr. Apisamai Srirangsan, CCSA’s assistant spokesperson, said late morning that the new 369 Covid-19 cases took the cumulative confirmed cases to 12,423 with 9,206 having recovered so far, an increase of 191, while 3,147 are still undergoing treatment, an increase of 178. 

The death toll remains stationary at 70.

Of these 369 cases 357 were domestic infections while 12 overseas travellers had entered state quarantine.

Altogether 82 patients were found through surveillance and service systems and 275 through proactive screening in communities.

Yesterday there were 374 cases with 364 infected domestically of which 43 were found through surveillance and service systems and 321 through proactive screening in communities.  There were 10 overseas travellers who had all entered state quarantine.

CAPTION:

Top: Prime Minister Prayut talking to officials this morning. Thai headline says, “Closure has to continue.” Photo: Sanook.com

 

Nina
I am veteran journalist and part of ThaiNewsroom.com’s editorial team. We are working hard at making this news site a success and value the support of each and every reader
https://thainewsroom.com/

Leave a Reply