Local news

Suthin cannot confirm if Chinese submarine deal will get cabinet green light soon

 

By Thai Newsroom Reporters

DEFENCE MINISTER SUTHIN Khlangsang said today (July 8) he was uncertain whether the navy’s Chinese-built submarine purchase plan will pass final approval of the cabinet of ministers as soon as some time this month.

According to the Pheu Thai-attached defence minister, whether the navy’s plan to purchase the Yuan-class S26T submarine will be finally approved by the Pheu Thai-led government will largely depend on relevant legal matters which are currently being handled by the government’s legal experts including those under direct command of Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin as well as the Council of State.

Suthin said Srettha has insisted the whole legal factor involving the 12.4 billion baht submarine procurement project be thoroughly taken into account and that unambiguous explanations about it be readily available for the government and navy to give to the public.

That refers to a change of the engine to be installed aboard the S26T submarine from a German-made MTU396 to a Chinese-made CHD620 and a 1,217-day extension to the period of construction of the boat by China’s Shipbuilding & Offshore International Co.

The civilian defence minister commented that the navy chief need not worry about it since, he said, there will be a few months before he retires at the end of upcoming September.

Adm. Adung Pan-iam has earlier expressed concern over the possibility that the Chinese submarine might be given the final green light from the cabinet after he has retired, however.

The navy’s original submarine procurement plan which had been strongly pushed by former navy chief Ruechai Ruddit had been approved by a previous government under former prime minister Prayut Chan-o-cha one day ahead of his retirement schedule in 2020.

Of the total cost of the S26T submarine, Thailand’s first in six decades, about 7.7 billion baht had already been paid, leaving the 5.5 billion baht balance to be settled, according to assistant navy chief Adm. Chonlathit Navanukroh.

CAPTIONS:

Top: A Chinese submarines. Photo: Amarin TV

Insert: Defence Minister Suthin Khlangsang. Photo: PPTV HD 36 channel

Front Page: A submarine. Photo: Thai Rath


Also read: Hearsay of Chinese submarine being sold to Indonesia not Thailand refuted

Administrative Court asked to delay ratification of all 200 senators-designate

All 200 senators-designate to be ratified in a week: Somchai

Aerothai increasing capacity to receive 2 million fights a year by 2038

Warning not to click Phuket shooting spam message

Many hurt as trailer-truck slams into 10 vehicles at red light


 

Leave a Reply