IN its annaul list of 50 richest people in Thailand American business magazine Forbes placed the Chearavanont family of Charoen Pokphand (CP) Group right at the top with net worth of $30.2 billion (978.782 billion baht), Sanook.com said this afternoon (July 8th).
The second place went to Mr. Chalerm Yoovidhya, who shares a $24.5 billion (795.025 billion baht) Red Bull fortune with his family, and is this year’s biggest dollar gainer. He added $4.3 billion to his wealth and holds onto his position as the second richest.
Mr. Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi, 77, founder of Thai Beverage remains at the third spot, with his fortune rising to $12.7 billion (411.988 billion baht) from $10.5 billion last year.
Ranking from 4th to the 10th are the following billionaires:
– 4. The Chirathivat family, Central Group, $11.6 billion (374.304 billion baht), up by $2.1 billion;
– 5. Energy tycoon Mr. Sarath Ratanavadi, who made headlines in April with a $17 billion bid for Intouch Holdings and its wireless firm Advanced Info Services, Thailand’s biggest mobile operator by revenue. His wealth was up by nearly a third to $8.9 billion (288.805 billion baht)
– 6. Osathanughra family, Osotspa Group, $3.5 billion (113.575 billion baht);
– 7. Mr. Somphote Ahunai, chairman of the executive committee, Energy Absolute Plc, $3.3 billion (107.085 billion baht);
– 8. Mr. Prasert Prasarttong-Osoth, CEO and president of Bangkok Dusit Medical Group, $3.250 million (105.462 billion baht);
– 9. Mr. Prachak Tangkaravakoon, chairman of the board and executive director, TOA Paint (Thailand) Plc, $3.2 billion (103.840 billion baht)
– 10. Mr. Chuchat Petaumpai and Mrs. Daonapa Petampai;executive chairman and managing director of Muangthai Capital Plc, $3 billion (97,350 million baht).
Former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was also placed 18th on the list with $2 billion (64.910 billion baht) in assets.
Mrs. Somporn Juangroongruangkit, the mother of a famous businessman-turned-politician Mr. Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, ranked 47th with $815 million in assets (26.452.46 billion baht).
Mr. Dhanin Chearavanont, senior chairman of CP Group. Photo: Dario Pignatelli / Bloomberg / Getty Images published by CNBC
Home Page: Rich written across an image. Photo: R (CC BY-SA 2.0)