THE Public Health Ministry has not yet confirmed that a 57-year-old Frenchwoman found infected with Covid-19 on Koh Samui after travelling there with her family upon clearing 14-day quarantine in Samut Prakan province has in fact caught the disease in Thailand, Sanook.com reported this afternoon (Oct. 23).
Dr. Sophon Iamsirithaworn, director of the General Communicable Diseases Division, said this woman’s husband and son have no symptoms and a Swab (PCR) test at Bangkok Samui Hospital yesterday showed they are not infected. They have been separated from their infected family member.
He added that a local team went to inspect and control the disease on the island and urged the people there not to panic.
The timeline of the infected Frenchwoman after her arrival in Thailand is as follows:
– The 57-year-old woman travelled to Thailand on Thai Airways International flight TG933 together with her family, three persons in all, on September 30 and was quarantined in Samut Prakan province for 14 day;
– They travelled to Koh Samui on Bangkok Airways flight PG 167 on October 15, upon arrival a friend took them to their residence;
– She started having fever, cough with phlegm and muscle ache on October 17, she visited Big C shopping mall and a 7-Eleven outlet near her residence on the same day;
– She went to Bangkok Samui Hospital for treatment on October 20, underwent NPS Swab (PCR) test;
– She was found to be infected yesterday, October 22, and moved to a separate room at Bangkok Samui Hospital. Her husband and son are not infected with the test result of their friend awaited.
There were 10 passengers and two crew members on Bangkok Airways flight PG 167 (Bangkok-Samui) on October 15 and officials are coordinating to collect samples.
In addition, the 21 hospital staff who were in protective clothing are under observation and being taken care of.
Officials have also collected samples from 40 persons at the alternative state quarantine complex in Samut Prakan province where this family stayed before travelling to Koh Samui.
Top: Tourists on a ferry to Koh Samui. Thai headline says, “Frenchwoman infected with Covid-19.” Photo: Sanook.com