THE Thai army has seen Cambodian troops operating within established boundaries, showing no clear signs of threat, but security remains uncertain after the a joint statement under the Kuala Lumpur agreement assenting to a 72-hour ceasefire was signed on Dec. 27 with patrols along the border having already begun, TV Channel 7 said today (Jan. 3).
It is undeniable that the two previous rounds of fighting stemmed from these patrols, the Thai army said, adding that while verbal confrontations during patrols can be tolerated, the infiltration by Khmer troops to plant landmines aiming to inflict casualties is unacceptable. Therefore, even during patrols, Thai soldiers remain vigilant and not complacent.
Analysts view Thailand as having a geographical advantage, holding 90-95% of the strategic territory. This has led to Cambodia’s refusal to accept Thailand’s occupation of the land, attempting to pressure Thailand to retreat to the demarcation line before any clashes erupted, and threatening to sue Thailand at the International Criminal Court on accusation of using force to alter the borderline.
This is evident in the latest statement from the Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs that accused and protested Thailand’s alleged continued violations of their territorial integrity in four provinces – Banteay Meanchey, Pursat, Preah Vihear and Oddar Meanchey.
Cambodia also accused Thailand of violating United Nations directives and Geneva Conventions, undermining the border demarcation process, and creating a volatile situation. They demand that Thailand cease military activities, withdraw all troops and equipment from the area, return to the spirit of the ceasefire agreement and peaceful resolution, and called on the international community to support a peaceful resolution of the dispute.
Simultaneously, a softer approach is being employed, such as inviting Thailand to reopen border crossings to revive the economy and reduce internal pressure.
Assistant Professor Noppadol Kannika, an independent scholar, posted his views on the Thai-Cambodian conflict, stating that victory in today’s world is not solely determined by force. It also requires written statements and communication, particularly regarding Cambodia’s clear refusal to recognize Thai sovereignty, its insistence on existing treaties, and its attempt to involve Thailand in mechanisms where it has previously won.
Therefore, continued inaction will put Thailand at a legal and diplomatic disadvantage on the international stage. Effective proactive measures should be taken, such as issuing counter-statements and making formal protests to Cambodia while maintaining a continuous military presence in the area.
Thailand must openly present the basis for concrete evidence of control of the territory while reviewing unfair negotiations, he said.
Meanwhile Burapha Task Force, specifically Task Force 12, has fully demolished structures encroaching on Thai territory at former Cambodian refugee camp Ban Nong Chan and Ban Nong Ya Kaeo village in Sa Kaeo province while continuing to place containers there as border defence, PPTVHD36 said.
No Cambodian residents remain in the area, as Khmer troops had ordered all villagers to vacate the area prior to the second round of fighting breaking out on Dec. 8.
On Dec. 30 an engineering unit demolished the residence of former Khmer soldier Lt. Col. To Sarin, or Kamnan Lee, the former husband of Jae Lat at Ban Nong Chan.
Kamnan Lee had encroached on Thai territory and seized villagers’ farmland then expanded his influence to the point of instilling fear in the community. However after the first round of clashes in July he disappeared with his fate unknown.
As for Jae Lat, or Mrs. Thonglat, Kamnan Lee’s ex-wife, she is identified as a key figure in bringing Cambodians to seize Thai farmland in the area, building warehouses and her own house on forest land. Recently, Task Force 12 demolished all of Jae Lat’s structures.
CAPTIONS:
Top and Front Page – The statement issued by the Cambodian Foreign Affairs Ministry today (Dec. 3) levelling accusations against Thailand. Photo – PPTVHD36
Insert – Structures dismantled at former Khmer refugee camp Ban Nong Chan. Photo – PPTVHD36
Also read:
Election Commission urged to look into Anutin’s Copay-Plus promise
937,000 voters wish to cast early votes
Immigration Police release Myanmar murder suspect citing overcrowded detention centres
Couple found shot dead at their home after New Year’s Eve party




